Friday, August 5, 2011

Tip# 77: See Some Star-Crossed Lovers

 

This weekend is Greenport's annual Shakespeare-in-the-Park, produced by Northeast Stage. The play this year is Romeo and Juliet and performances run Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at 7pm on the waterfront at Mitchell Park.  The play casts all locals and features sword fights, dances, two suicides and some of the most famous of Shakespeare's dialogue:

"O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name.
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love
And I'll no longer be a Capulet."

I actually had to memorize that monologue from the famous balcony scene for a class in grade school and I still can remember most of it.  Every time I see Romeo and Juliet I always hope for a better outcome but alas, it never happens.

"For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

Bring lawn chairs/ blankets and a picnic.  By the way, I don't think I have written a post this summer that didn't include the word 'picnic'! The rain location is at Holy Trinity Church on Main Street and the performances are Free. For more info, Northeast Stage can be found on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment