Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tip# 2: The Whistle Stop Cafe

Actually, the Whistle Stop Cafe doesn't exist on the North Fork but I've been reading the book "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" this week.  Such great storytelling and I love to read books about the hot South while I'm sweltering on the hot North Fork. I can really relate to the characters!  I've also been making fried green tomatoes for dinner - alot - much to Chris's joy.


I slice the green tomatoes real thick, dip them in buttermilk and then in a dredge. I use our own Browder's Birds Fry Mix which we sell at the Farmers' markets every Saturday.  But if you want to make your own, a basic recipe follows:

Fry Dredge
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup corn meal
A good-size sprinkling of onion powder and garlic powder
pinch of cayenne
salt and pepper

Then heat 1-2 inches of oil in a cast iron skillet to 325 degrees and drop in your tomatoes.  Using tongs to turn them once, let each side fry for 2 minutes or so. Then drain on paper towels.  I serve my fried green tomatoes with a homemade ranch or thousand island dressing.

Zesty Ranch Dressing
Whisk together the following, then chill:
3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 tablespoon of buttermilk
1/4 tsp of celery seeds
1/4 tsp of onion powder
1/4 tsp paprika
a shake of Old Bay (I am from Maryland, after all)

Thousand Island Dressing
3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 tablespoon of ketchup
1-2 tablespoons of chopped bread and butter pickles



As for the tomatoes, we've been lucky enough to farm next to Stephanie of Invincible Summer Farms.  Stephanie grows over 300 varieties of heirloom tomatoes with the goal of seed-saving.  She also sells plants and fruit at the Greenport Farmers' Market on Saturday and the Port Jefferson Market on Sundays.  She'll have beautiful, green tomatoes for sale this Saturday and Sunday.  For more information, check out her website (you can order seeds and plants online):
http://Invinciblesummerfarms.com

No comments:

Post a Comment