Saturday, July 16, 2011

Tip# 33: You can eat Zucchini for Breakfast


There are those of you that know what I am talking about right off the bat with this title. I was at a cook-out on Thursday and the party favors were squash!  This time of year is Zucchini season and it seems everyone has too many.  I've been making an easy zucchini-banana bread for our breakfast for the last couple of weeks and I wanted to share it.  Chris just loves it and it is really simple and quick which I love.

And for those of you without a garden, let me reveal this shocking truth so you fully understand the magnitude of the humble squash plant. I didn't even grow any zucchini this season! I've been making my zucchini bread for the last 3 weeks using what I already shredded and froze last season.  One summer of growing squash and you'll still be feasting on it a year later. Enjoy the recipe! 

Ingredients

  • 3 large bananas (mashed)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2-3 cups shredded zucchini (drained)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup corn meal (really just for texture, can replace with more flour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 Tablespoons melted butter

Instructions

  1. Mix together the banana sugar and egg (in a standing mixer is easiest).
  2. In another bowl mix together the dry ingredients and combine with banana mixture. Mix thoroughly and fold in zucchini.
  3. Add butter to the baking pan and sit in the oven to melt for a few minutes.  Using pot holders tilt pan to evenly distribute melted butter (and grease pan) then pour in batter.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
  5. Test with toothpick.
Variations:  One week I mixed 1/3 cup of natural peanut butter into the batter and the next week I mixed in 1/2 cup of raisins; Chris likes to eat a slice drizzled with maple syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment